Snacks are important for many reasons but make sure your reaching for the right foods and not over indulging when you are starving. Studies show that regular mini meals or snacks can help regulate blood sugar, improve metabolism, and prevent overeating later. The secret to a successful snack is to keep the calorie count low and eat out of routine not starvation. Here are a list of great snacks all under 200 calories.
- Half an apple with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. The peanut butter adds protein to your snack keeping you fuller longer. This snack totals at 157 calories.
- 10 carrot sticks and 2 tablespoons of veggie dip. A cup of carrot sticks adds up to only 50 calories!
- Two handfuls of 100 calorie popcorn. This is the perfect snack for when you are craving something crunchy and salty. Popcorn is full of fiber but make sure you are picking one that is low in saturated and free of trans fat.
- Hummus is one of my favorite snacks ever! Half of a whole wheat pita is 85 calories and a quarter cup of protein packed hummus is 93 calories. Yum!
- A low fat string cheese has about 60-90 calories and a medium apple is about 126 calories. This is a great on the go snack for busy days.
- Forget bagels! Toast a half of a whole wheat English muffin and two tablespoons of cream cheese and you will be full all morning! This breakfast comes in at only 163 calories!